Ladies and Gentleman - Esquare,Pune presents a whole new movie watching experience

India is known as the land of cultural diversity and the people we meet constantly reminds us of this fact. We are all proud of our traditions and the rich heritage that our country carries. I personally have experienced a nice variety in the last few years as I have moved across the country and seen the different shades of it.

Many a times I had heard that Indians have a traditional or conservative mindset which is especially predominant in the Southern regions of India. I had a nice glimpse of the same during my summer project when I spent 2 weeks in Madurai, Chennai and Rameshwaram (This place has some really beautiful beaches) and also to some extent in Kerala. People of opposite sex hanging out together raises eyebrows and in some places if a guy goes to someone’s home, the women of the household stay hidden in a room and no contact of any sort is made.

That’s all fine, I had heard about such stories, but there were some places that I never thought would exhibit such ‘conservative’ behaviour. Among them was the city of Pune, ‘the land of Osho’ and I was shocked beyond my wits when on my recent visit to this upmarket city, I came across a really funny thing. I had gone with a friend to what many people told me was one of the most happening multiplexes in town - ’E-square’. I was standing with my friend in the queue at the counter to get tickets for the new release ‘Ong Bak 2’ (Don’t watch it .. it’s a movie whose cinematographer is obsessed with showing people spitting ) Coming back to the point, we noticed a board over the counter which said ‘GENTLEMAN’ and she asked me why such a board would be there, but before either of us could think of an answer, the guard came to her and said “ Madam, Ladies ki line wahan hai (Madam, the queue for ladies is there) “ pointing towards a short line with 2 or 3 Ladies standing across the gate on the other side. wonder if the authorities thought that people are going to stand there at the counter and make out in full public view and its best to keep them away. I was surprised that there were no separate seating sections in the hall itself. Though on the lighter side, I think it’s highly unfair to guys who come in groups and wait in long queues as compared to the lucky ones who have girls accompanying them. Who says women lack privileges in our country. Later on, I also got to know that some well reputed colleges of the city have divided their libraries or other common use area into exclusive sections for men and women. What was shocking for me was that a city which in recent times has become the centre of a youthful culture with some extremely popular colleges and an inflow of IT professionals from across the country and with a suave and metropolitan like image has such weird practices.

Inside E square

I guess the various social policing groups in our country might just beat up people in pubs and discs and make them dance in separate sections of the dance floor or come up with such genius ways of protecting our culture. Next time you are in Pune and plan to catch a movie in Pune, I strongly recommend E square, you won't get the same experience anywhere else

Comments

  1. Good one... even i would never forget that experience

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah And I will for sure not forget the movie and the numerous angles and speeds with which people spitting was shown

    ReplyDelete
  3. My cousin's co- ed college has seperate entrances and seperate parking lots for girls and boys !!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chakravyuh - Sapnon Ka Mayajaal ...

Do the new and the world will follow